Create your job search profile and we will do the job search for you
Who are we?
Founded in 1849, Ducommun is the oldest company in California. Starting as a hardware supply store during the California Gold Rush and eventually assisted in the birth of the aerospace industry in Southern California by providing aircraft aluminum to early aerospace pioneers like Lindbergh, Douglas and Lockheed.
Today Ducommun is a global provider of innovative manufacturing solutions for customers in the aerospace, defense and industrial markets. We specialize in electronic and structural systems, producing complex products and components for commercial aircraft platforms, mission-critical military and space programs, and sophisticated industrial applications.
Our Facility in Coxsackie, NY manufactures large, complex contoured structural components and assemblies for aerospace and other applications. Our integrated processes include stretch-forming, thermal-forming, chemical processing, precision fabrication, machining, finishing processes, and integration of components into subassemblies.
· Excellent company culture – as recognized by Newsweek’s Top 100 Most Loved Workplaces
· Opportunity for career growth
· Great benefits including paid vacation and sick time, 401K match, Employee Stock Purchase Program, annual bonus plan, and tuition reimbursement
Sets up and operates conventional, special purpose, and computer numerical control (CNC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts.
· Studies and interprets blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
· Demonstrates ability to find detail part on the engineering drawing.
· Determines correct blank size from the engineering drawing.
· Measures mylars accurately to determine dimensions for machining steps.
· Interprets all part characteristics from the drawing and determine fabrication steps.
· Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and references points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
· Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes.
· Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
· Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
· Demonstrates basic surface grinding skills.
· Demonstrates intermediate turning skills.
· Demonstrates intermediate vertical milling operations (Bridgeport).
· Sets up and runs all jobs that come through the cell without supervision.
· Determines when a cutting tool needs replacement or sharpening.
· Is familiar with cutting speeds for different materials.
· Operates drill press proficiently.
· Operates HAAS CNC VMC without supervision.
· Determines correct cutting fluids for different materials.
· Determines correct SFPM for band sawing speeds.
· Is able to review job and to determine machining sequence and cutting tools.
· Determines correct speeds and feeds for the material being machined.
· Operates horizontal band saw.
· Demonstrates intermediate turning, drilling, reaming, and tapping skills.
· Performs hand trimming operations as required.
· Is able to layout hand trimming operations as required.
· Is able to setup jobs and proof setup for another operator.
· Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
· Proficient in the use of precision measuring tools including but not limited to the following: 6" scale, vernier, outside micrometer, height gage, pin gage, telescope gages, dial test indicator, inside micrometers, surface finish comparator, protractor, and Pi tape.
· Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
· Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining problems.
· Is able to read and edit NC code to address programming issues. Basic edits are required.
· Understand Principles of Lean Manufacturing.
· Understands, practices and advocates the 6S workplace culture and initiatives.
· Able to initiate a Continuous Improvement To Do List idea.
· Actively and effectively writes Standard Operations Instructions.
· Is able to open, navigate, read, create and edit Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word files.
· Uses BAAN wedge barcode to scan jobs in and out of setup and run.
· Opens, reviews and understand BAAN dispatch list.
· Makes any adjustments necessary to maintain quality parts within control limits for SPC.
· Reads and understands internal procedures and policies.
· Understands and follows through on both verbal and written instructions.
· Team oriented with a continuous improvement and quality outlook.
· Understands basic machine tool / shop safety.
· Responsible for the proper handling and management of hazardous waste generated in their work area.
· Must be willing and able to work overtime as necessary.
· Acceptable attendance is an essential function of the position.
· Performs other duties as assigned or required by the position.
· Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. · Frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. · Must be able to communicate effectively.
· Annual baseline hearing test is required.
· Occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
· Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· HS Diploma or equivalent required.
· Technical / trade school strongly preferred; or a minimum of 3-5 years related experience.
Work Environment and Safety Equipment Required
· Working conditions are: 100% manufacturing environment.
· Regularly required to work near moving mechanical parts.
· Regularly exposed to fumes, wet and/or humid conditions and airborne particles.
· The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock.
· Noise level is usually loud.
· Hearing protection is required.
· Safety glasses (ANSI Z87 compliant) required in all manufacturing areas.
· Fully enclosed shoes of solid, leather construction with a steel or composite toe cap (ANSI Z41 compliant), that fit at the ankle or higher, must be worn in all manufacturing areas.
Required Skills & Qualifications
· Strong mechanical aptitude required. · Must possess the ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide decimals, percentages, fractions, ratios, proportions; knowledge of basic algebra. Knowledge of geometry and trigonometry is a plus.
· Computer Skills - able to learn new screens, reports, functions, software programs and basic familiarity with BAAN
· Communicates courteously and professionally at all organizational levels
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written oral diagram or schedule form.
· Understands and contributes to the creation and continuous improvement of our Standard Work Documents (SWD).
· Understands and contributes to the Root Cause and Corrective Action (RCCA) of non-conforming product.
This is a generic job posting for a CNC Machinist. Depending on the candidate’s skills, qualifications and experience, they will be hired into an entry (I) level, intermediate (II) level or expert (III) level job and pay scale.
Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled
171 Stacey Road
Coxsackie, New York, 12051
Ducommun provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Tell us what you are looking for and we will do the job search for you