Create your job search profile and we will do the job search for you
IT Associate Level 1- Systems Administrator (Provisional)
City College of New York
Add to My Favorite Jobs
I.T. Associates perform moderately complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Associates work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving complex technology problems and serving as a technical resource. They have considerable latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may have supervisory responsibilities.
I.T. Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/hr/classified-civil-service/ccsjobs/
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The City College of New York (CCNY) is the founding institution of the City University of New York (CUNY) and is comprised of outstanding programs in architecture, engineering, medicine, and the liberal arts and sciences annually, serving over 16,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Leading CUNY in funded research, CCNY hosts a number of research centers, including two new advanced research centers.
CCNY’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a vital component of the college's operation responsible for software applications, hardware support, telecommunications, media services, network infrastructure, instructional technologies and information security. The OIT is committed to collaborating with the college community to provide excellent information technology products and services.
In fulfilling their duties, the System Administrator will collaborate with other OIT units, including Networking, Telecommunications, IT Operations, User and Instructional Support Services, Application Development, and Business Services. They will also confer with faculty, staff, and students on systems administration related matters and special projects.
Under the supervision of the Systems Administration Manager, the Systems Administrator will serve on a team tasked with performing IT operational tasks supporting desktop and server hardware, software, printing, and network infrastructures. They will have latitude for independent initiative and judgment under supervision. The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Manage and administer a Windows infrastructure with Macintosh and Linux assets, supporting staff, faculty, student, and research users
• Administers physical and virtual servers, including server deployment, operating system patching, component installation and configuration, and updating packages in a mostly Windows environment virtualized using VMware. This includes but is not limited to file, print, database, active directory, and e-mail servers
• Document system infrastructure, update internal wiki knowledge base, and maintain up-to-date documentation and procedures for systems-related aspects of the campus infrastructure and operations including workflows
• Administer email services, including server and account management, security monitoring and remediation
• Deploy MDM services, such Jamf and LanDesk, for Mac management throughout the student labs and offices around campus
• Ability to run SQL queries and write/code in PowerShell and scripts to automate systems processes
• Diagnose and resolve level 3 technical problems in collaboration with other OIT units, providing timely updates, notations, and notifications as needed
• Monitor systems daily and respond immediately to issues that compromise their usability, integrity, and security
• Collaborate with staff and faculty to facilitate processes, projects, installations and formulation of operating policies and procedures.
• Engage in developing and ensuring security procedures for critical servers and data
• Interact with contractors and vendors to support installations, maintenance, and repairs, and also for the acquisition of services and equipment
• Perform other duties as necessary
High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
An equivalent of seven years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: seven years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus five years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus three years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
Demonstrated English Language proficiency
A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This job has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
• Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate and/or Linux Certification
• Strong experience with Linux distribution Software in an enterprise
• Experience administering cloud services such as Microsoft 365, Azure and AWS
• Strong experience developing SQL queries and PowerShell scripts
• Experience administering Microsoft Windows Servers, MS Exchange, and MS Active Directory
• Experience with VMWare, Infoblox, LanDesk, JAMF, PaperCut
• Experience with TCP/IP networking, including DHCP and DNS
• Good written and verbal communication skills, including technical writing skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Self-driven and motivated with analytical and problem-solving skills
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
Click "Search job listings"
Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
Search for Job Opening ID number:26211
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
February 20, 2023
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
CUNY provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Tell us what you are looking for and we will do the job search for you